Starting a Blog


Hello to anybody reading this!  As you know since you are reading this, I decided to start a blog.  I was inspired while reading my friend Kellie's blog post about writing a blog post while having writer's block, as I was reading a blog post while having writer's block concerning my research.  So I thought, "I should procrastinate by starting a blog."  And here we are.

But actually, there are a few reasons why a blog sounds exciting right now.  I am currently pursuing a Master's Degree in Geology with a focus in Hydrogeology, and have dreams of a scientific career, in which writing is a very important.  Over my first year, I have done a bit of report writing to summarize different topics of my research.  These are not worthy of any publication, but it is still rewarding to put them out there.  A sense of accomplishment on polishing a report and hitting "Publish" on a post may be enough to encourage me to write more and give me more writing practice.

On top of this, I hope to find a way to document my thoughts.  I have tried a number of media (poetry, photography, video, and painting off the top of my head), but have not been able to stick with them.  However, here I can essentially use any of those media here in different posts, so hopefully that will make it easier to stick with it.

But most importantly, I hope to share scientific, environmental, and generally interesting topics to "the world."  One of the things I am EXTREMELY passionate about is dissemination of Earth Science information to the public.  Public schools mainly teach only the "pure sciences" of physics, chemistry, and (though less "pure") biology.  I don't think that this is a bad thing, since they are the basis for all other sciences, but students don't learn the application of them (i.e. the earth sciences, psychology, etc).  This leads to a public lack of understanding how the EARTH works (a topic which I will probably write an essay on) and, thus, a lack of understanding on several major problems that society is currently facing.  My plan is to write for the general public, put geologic and environmental concepts into simple terms, and just explain things (though maybe I'll include some technical writing). I doubt many people will read it, and I don't think I'll change the world, but maybe I'll make a small difference to someone.

As a primarily science-driven blog, and one that I hope to use throughout finishing my degree, I decided to dedicate the namesake of this collection to Henry Darcy.  Darcy was a French engineer, made famous for his experiments of fluid flow through porous media.  His claim to fame is an equation known as Darcy's Law, and this is at the backbone of the field of hydrogeology.  It is analagous to Fick's Law describing chemical diffusion, Ohm's Law describing electron flow, and Fourier's Law describing heat flow.  Darcy's Law also happens to be the primary focus of my Master's Thesis, leading me to have spent several days performing derivations of this law on the mess of papers covering my desk.  Through this, I have become familiar with transforms of the law and have been able to defend my work to my advisor, making me feel as though I were Darcy's Lawyer.  And thus, I had a name for a blog.

I love the natural world.  I have seen the first rays of light from the mountaintops.  I have traversed canyons, meticulously laid out, and then mercilessly carved by untamed waters.  I have sat in the darkness of caves, feeling their stillness and quiet.  I have climbed the mountains, bagged the peaks, run the rivers, and breathed deep in that yet sweet, lucid air.  And I hope that through my perspective and this blog, readers may begin to understand and, more importantly, appreciate the Earth.


-KC
B.S. Geology
Darcy's Lawyer

Comments

  1. This is so beautiful 🖤 I'm so excited to read more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment