One Third Reflections

We Are 1/3 of the Way Through 2020

Well, as of posting this article, we officially made it a third of the way around the sun (give or take some leap minutes).  I'm a believer of the need to take a moment to pause, Reflect, and use this time to reevaluate your bearing, as well as that this process needs to occur more than only on January 1st.   I recently summarized all of the difficulties of my year, but without being redundant I wish to reflect on what I have done and what I still hope to do.

Things I've Done

     1. Applied for and Accepted a PhD position.

Honestly, I was not too concerned about getting into a program.  My advisor was very vocal about his desire to continue on, and I am good enough of a student to supplement his recommendation. The harder part was deciding to apply and then, consequently, deciding to accept.  I know that I am making a large investment of time(4-5) years of staying in Tallahassee, continue my training, and make a significantly lower salary instead of getting into the workforce.  Regardless of this, I am extremely excited to really dive into the science and commit myself to learning more.  This may be one of the biggest decisions I've had to make, and I'm excited about the potential career paths in research (Academia/USGS/US Forest Service) this will open up for me.


     2. Wrote and Defended my Master's Thesis

While I have had a very love-hate relationship with my thesis, it is (mostly) complete.  While I ran into countless errors and hardships, I learned a lot.  I learned about programming in multiple languages and applications.  I learned about the application of the fundamentals of hydrogeology.  Most importantly, I learned about bouncing back from failure and being able to finish a large scale project on a deadline (much less during a pandemic).  While I am done with my thesis (outside of formatting changes which I REALLY hope I'm done with).  From here, I am working towards a patent application and will be working on my first academic publication.

     3. Got a Summer Internship!

A professor emailed out a job posting for a summer geohydrology internship with the Kansas Geological Survey.  The position involves studying the biogeochemistry and hydrology of intermittent streams in Kansas.  Not only am I EXTREMELY interested in the biogeochemistry of  streams (a la River Corridor Science) and currently study the hydrology of intermittent wetlands, but one of the first research papers I ever wrote in college was on the High Plains Aquifer, one of the most prominent aquifers in Kansas and many Plains states.  I truly believe that this opportunities will be one of those experiences that have significant impact on my career.

    4. Started Listening to Podcasts

I really don't know why I haven't started listening sooner.  I am a big fan of radio shows (and the radio), which likely fit the niche of my long drive entertainment.  But regardless, I tried to get into a number of Geology podcasts, but just started regularly listening to Don't Panic Geocast and think the perspectives of an academic geologist and an industry geophysicist are just extremely interesting.  I also just rediscovered Smosh from my middle/high school days, have been listening to their podcast due to the different personalities of the cast that host it, and this eventually got me to Rhett and Link's podcast, who just are the definition of entertainers with interesting lives (and have the best podcast name: Ear Biscuits).

Goals for the Rest of 2020

     1. Read and Learn A LOT

I don't mean this in the usual catch-all goal  of mine to read more novels.  But rather, since finishing my thesis research, I have a reborn hunger and drive to learn.  Over the past couple years, I have built up an interest in non-fiction literature, which is GREAT for my career.  Memoirs and textbooks have particularly caught my attention.  If I'm going to work to work for a PhD, I'm going to do it big and dive in head first.  I am ready to start reviewing scientific literature in my research area.  I'm also really excited about learning/relearning some of the basics of areas that I didn't do as well at.  I have textbooks for Historical Geology, Igneous/Metamorphic Petrology, and Aquatic Chemistry and I hope to grasp a better understanding on them (even though the second will have little to do with my career, I want to be able to hold a conversation with my colleagues' work).  As well as my interest in geostatistics, there's this amazing YouTube channel that I'm going through and taking notes to try and improve in that field. With all my free time now, I hope to do a little more reading for fun as well too.

     2. Reorganize my Life

This may sound like a pretty vague, but I am looking to be more organized.  I recently found out about this program called Notion, which I would describe as an online planner, organizer, database,  note taking program that you can customize to your desire (and can be used as an alternative to Slack for groups).  I am really liking it so far and am excited to use it in the school year.  I'm currently planning out my Blog Posts, Class notes, a personal budget, a To Do list, a Reading list, completion of my Master's degree, and career plans.  With this, I also bought a tablet to keep all my reading resources in one place (ebooks and academic papers that I can annotate).

     3. Scratch the Itch to Create

I really want to be able to create something.  I think that's a main motivator for this blog, but I hope to do more.  I want to write more about science here and work on my public outreach in Earth Science.  As much as I don't want to be every other "white guy with a podcast," I really have enjoyed the medium and am floating the idea of doing one with my sister.  The premise would be that we are two (soon to be) Masters Degree holders in the Environmental field (she holds an Education degree with an Environmental Ed. focus, and I will hold a Geology degree) and we will talk about our experiences and perspectives on the environment as researchers, educators, and frequent enjoyers.  Plus, I think we have some pretty interesting experiences between our individual and collective adventures into the wilderness.  Personally, I would love to hear feedback on whether this is a good idea or not.


The opportunities are here and I am ready to set forth on the next two thirds of the journey that is 2020!

Comments